Video-streaming app for all the major operating systems
XBMC is a highly capable media player that installs quickly on Android devices to enable users to play a wide range of multimedia files. Loaded with fully fleshed features, the open source App acts as an entertainment center, a hub for watching stored videos, podcasts, songs, and network content. The application is also an accomplished media streamer, although third-party plugins need to be downloaded and configured before this feature can be accessed. Able to process just about any conceivable media file type, this App is freely available, but its open source heritage does pave the way for illegal activities.
When first installed on a handheld device, the Android version of XBMC defaults to its faithful Confluence user interface. Fortunately, other skins have been developed by an impassioned community. The XBMC user base designs the enhanced GUI layouts and the third-party plugins to enhance the user experience, so some tinkering is required before the App can reach its full potential. Of course, the basic Confluence interface is intuitive to navigate, so many users are more than happy to stick with this base configuration. From here, the directory paths of local folders can be set, Add-Ons are installed, and streaming media is pulled in from online sources.
Originally conceived as a cross-platform media center, the Android version of XBMC is free. There are versions of the App for every conceivable user platform, but this version is targeted at the touchscreen market, a sector that values the customizable interface employed by this award-winning multimedia application.
- Free open-source media center
- Plays many file types
- Constantly updated
- XBMC is very cusomizable
- Add-Ons enable streaming access
- Some plugins stream illegal media
- Newer versions are still buggy
This is the official release of Kodi 16.1 "Jarvis"
For more information visit our website http://kodi.tv
Potentially dangerous permissions
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- BLUETOOTH: Allows applications to connect to paired bluetooth devices.
- GET_TASKS: This constant was deprecated in API level 21. No longer enforced.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Allows an application to modify global audio settings.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.